Ashbridge’s Creek Walk

Scroll down to view stops along the tour path

HIDDEN

VISIBLE

CLOSE

About the historical map


The 1882 McMurrich “Plan of the City of Toronto” used here as the historical map overlay, is neither as precise topographically as the later Department of Military and Defence series, nor as detailed as Goad’s “Atlas of the City of Toronto” series, nor as old as Tremaine’s “Map of the County of York, Canada West” (1860) or the Miles & Company “Illustrated Historical Atlas of the County of York” (1878). McMurrich’s map is a compromise between these poles. Its advantages are its accurate portrayal of Ashbridge’s Bay from a time before this water body was altered by urban development, and its inclusion of creeks that flowed to the bay. Within a decade after the McMurrich map’s completion, the Don Improvement Project kicked off a half century of landfilling and altering that have left Ashbridge’s Bay unrecognizable and east end creeks almost entirely buried. Of additional interest to us is its suggestive, whimsical illustration of the broken landscape of the area north of the eastern Beaches.